Silver Key is one of five organizations to participate in the national pilot of the Choose Home Initiative. This program's mission is to provide no-cost companionship to senior veterans in need of extra assistance so they remain living independently, in their own home and community, for as long as possible. The Silver Key V.E.T.S. program is looking for both volunteers and participants. For more detailed information about our V.E.T.S. program click here.
Listen to the National Public Radio report interview about this national pilot program!
Silver Key Choose Home Initiative Program article is posted on the Official Blog of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and spotlights Silver Key's great program through the experiences of our Volunteer Ron Burge and Veteran Carl Roberts.
Program Requirements for Volunteers:
- Volunteers 55+ able to dedicate a minimum of 5 hours/week
- Background checks, drug test, DMV test
- Required orientation and ongoing specialized training provided
- A small, hourly stipend is available
Program Benefits for Senior Veterans:
- Volunteers are matched with Veterans for compatibility
- Light companionship provided at no cost (in-home visits, assistance with medical visits, grocery shopping, errands)
- Caregivers benefit knowing companionship is provided
- Less social isolation and loneliness
VOLUNTEER OR REGISTER TODAY!
For more detailed information about the Choose Home/V.E.T.S. program click here or contact our Veterans Coordinator at (719) 884-2361. If you are a senior veteran in need of companionship, please email email@example.com.