Silver Key’s V.E.T.S. (Veterans Engagement Togetherness Support) program provides volunteer companionship to senior Veterans and spouses in need of assistance so they remain living independently, in their own home and community, for as long as possible.
This program's mission is to provide low cost companionship to senior veterans in need of extra assistance so they remain living independently, in their own home and community, for as long as possible.
This program began in 2018 through the Veterans Administration “Choose Home Initiative” in partnership with AmeriCorps Seniors when Silver Key was selected to participate in a national pilot program.
The Silver Key V.E.T.S. program is looking for both volunteers and participants. For more detailed information about our V.E.T.S. program click here.
Listen to the National Public Radio report interview about this national pilot program!
Silver Key Choose Home Initiative Program article is posted on the Official Blog of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and spotlights Silver Key's great program through the experiences of our Volunteer Ron Burge and Veteran Carl Roberts. The Silver Key V.E.T.S. program was also featured by the VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System - read here.
Program Requirements for Volunteers:
- Volunteers with a spirit to serve our senior Veterans
- Background checks, drug test, DMV test
- Required orientation and ongoing specialized training provided
Program Benefits for Senior Veterans:
- Volunteers are matched with Veterans for compatibility
- Light companionship provided at no-low cost (in-home visits, assistance with medical visits, grocery shopping, errands)
- Caregivers benefit knowing companionship is provided
- Less social isolation and loneliness
VOLUNTEER OR REGISTER TODAY!
For more detailed information about the Choose Home/V.E.T.S. program click here or contact our Silver Line and ask to speak with a Veterans Coordinator at (719) 884-2300. If you are a senior veteran in need of companionship, please email email@example.com.